Friday, March 26, 2010

A True Story About The Baby Chipmunks My Dad Brought Home In His Lunch Box


I was very young. We was living in Tamarack, Idaho. Debbie (my little sister) was probably 3 or 4 years old, I would have been 7 or 8 years old. My dad had the coolest logging truck EVER, it was a really pretty purple.
While dad was working they had sawed down a tree with out realizing there was a nest of baby chipmunks in it. I believe there was 11, don't quot me on that, I do know there was a lot of them and I'm pretty sure there was 11!
Dad felt really bad for these baby chipmunks. He decided that he would bring them home and when they got a little bigger, being able to take care of themselves, we could release them. He put them all in his lunch box, fed them bread crumbs from his sandwich, he closed the lid, making sure they had plenty of air and not get hurt. I believe their mom was killed when they fell the tree.
When he got home he placed the lunch box on the table, went to take his shower as he did every night. He forgot to tell mom about these little creatures. When she opened the lunch box all these little guys went ping, ping, ping every which way. Mom let out a scream like nothing us girls had ever heard before. We went running in to find out what was going on.
My poor mom! Debbie and I got to see a couple of these guys bailing out of dads lunch box. We got so excited and thought it was the coolest thing ever!!!!! We've lived in the woods most of our lives, grew up with chipmunks but never as a pet or pets as in this case. All these cool little guys had scattered every where. Dad came flying out of the bathroom with his bathrobe on to find out what was going on, soaking wet. Once he realized what was going on and realized he didn't tell mom about what she would find in his lunch box. He bursted out in laughter and then so did my mom. Us girls were so excited and happy.
We all then chased every one of them to catch them. Mom found a box to put them all in with jar lids for food and water. BUT little did we know or at least think about, they can chew and that they did! By morning when my folks got up to get dad off to work. These little chipmunks had chew through the box and was climbing the curtains, and running up and down everything.
Dad went to work and mom searched for something to put them in, that they couldn't chew their way out. Mom came up with an idea...surely it would work she thought. The clothes hamper in the bathroom was made out of some sort of medal, with holes in the back they would have plenty of air. This would work until we could get something like a cage or something to put them in.
We all went to bed that night, the chipmunks were asleep and cosy in their new little home. A day later, by morning....GUESS WHAT.....they were out and playing in the curtains and running around, YES AGAIN. The thing now is I don't remember what happened to them after this. I'm sure mom and dad found them all a good home in the woods where they belonged. They were so much fun to play with and they sure brought a lot of laughter into our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment