Monday, February 7, 2011

LIFE and CRUEL CURVES

1950's , Washington and Iowa, USA


Ethel (my dad's 2nd wife) left Leroy (my dad) taking all 5 children. She went to Fairfield, Iowa. She then married Gene Luke. They had 3 more little boys. Apparently Gene and Ethel separated. Then Ethel had left all 8 children home alone by theirselves for 2 long weeks. She never went back home. Patti at the age of 7 years old was left by herself to take care of these brothers, that's 7 boys meaning there's 8 children all together! Patti was seven, the twins- Danny and Donny were 8, Stephen was 5 and Terry was 4, Randy the baby was just a couple months old. Rodney and Ricky ages are unsure of at this time. For a couple of weeks Patti was left alone to take care of these children. The Social Services had learned of this. All these children were placed in an orphanage. Several family members were wanting to adopt these children. But Ethel was no where to be found. And no one knew where to find Leroy, for he had remarried and moved to Idaho. A year later they found Leroy. He then learned what had happened and was asked to sign adoption papers for the twins- Danny and Donny, Patti, Stephen and Terry. I can't even imagine what all these children had to go thru and all the hurt!

I do not know what happened to the 3 youngest boys, Rodney, Ricky and Randy. They, too, are part of this family.

So, Milo and Pearl (Riedel) ANDERSON adopted Terry and Stephen.

Leo and Pearl RIEDEL adopted Danny, Donny and Patricia.

In the beginning they were all AUNTS and UNCLES. Now they're all MOMS and DADS.

My name is Tonie Lynn (Kannada) Campbell, I am a younger sister to all those above. I know how hard it is for me to put all this into words. So others can understand this total mess my dad and his ex-wife Ethel has left behind! And how much I missed out on knowing my brothers and sister. How I found them is a whole new chapter. Someday that'll be written too. I talk to Patricia (Patty) every single day, and I get to talk to my brother, Terry on the phone sometimes. But we email often. But one things for sure they will ALWAYS be in my life, NEVER LEFT BEHIND EVER AGAIN!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL and YOU ARE ALL A BIG PART OF THIS AMAZING FAMILY!

1 comment:

  1. I am reseraching the Reidel genealogy and found your posting, but I'm confused about who your father was.

    Do you have his date of birth, and who are his parents?

    I'm trying to puzzle all this together and would appreciate any help you can lend.

    I have a Leo Lester and Pearl Edna Reidel, but thought Leroy might be their son, but without birth years I can't figure it out.

    Hope you can clear this up for me.

    Lynn Wright
    Scottsdale, AZ
    lynn.wright@cox.net

    ReplyDelete