Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Beautiful Feeling

I deliver flowers for a living. I have put smiles on thousands of faces and a few happy tears, but what happened this past Friday was the BEST of all. It was a redelivery. Was 11 miles out of town.
When I got there a sweet little old lady answered the door. The day before was her 90th. Birthday. (That was the first day for this delivery, but no one was home) I had a beautiful fruit basket for her. I offered to put it on the table for her, because I knew it would not be easy for her. She asked me who sent it, I read the card to her.
Her husband was sitting in a big chair beside the door. In front of him was a wheel chair, he was on oxygen. I couldn't help noticing he didn't have his pants on, they were trapped over the wheel chair.
Irene (the little old lady) was asking him if he knew the phone number of someone. He did. She got a phone out of her pocket. She was struggling. I asked her, if she'd like me to dial the number for her? She says to me, "Could you please dial the number for me? I can't see the numbers." So, I did and I was proud to help!
Who ever she was talking to, she asked if that person was going to be out to help her? Apparently that person wasn't. This sadden my heat. I could tell she was disappointed.
So....I asked this darling little old lady, Irene, if there was anything I can help her with before I left. She was almost in tears. She asked me if could help her husband get his pants on. Absolutely! I could see that he was just a little embarrass. I let him know that it was okay, that I have done this for others in my life. He told me "Thank You for Helping my Wife!"
So very carefully, I put his pants on. Irene did her best to help me lift him once I got his pants on both legs so I could slide them under him and up to his waist. When I was leaving we were joking a bit and I knew this was one of those days that will Never Be Forgotten!!!
When I got back to our shop, I told my bosses what had happened. They were proud of me. They told me that Irene's husband had just got home from the hospital. That there was suppose to be a care-taker there. There was not! That must have been the one Irene was talking to on the phone.
What a Beautiful Ending to My Deliveries that day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment