Wednesday, January 13, 2010

When My Baby Girl, Stephanie Michele Was Born

On Thanksgiving of 1986, I bought a 1973 Plymouth Duster, dark green for $100.00. You sure can't find good deals like that any more. I loved this car. The back seats laid down. Like a hatch back. The heater didn't work in it, but the car ran like a champ!
On December 5th. Mark, a friend of mine said that after he closed his shop, I could bring my car in and blow out the heater core. It was a used car dealership. All I needed would be there.
I always did my own work on my cars. (There's a story for later) I took my heater core out. That was a little bit hard than normal and the reason being, I was 9 months pregnant. I got my biggest with this baby. By the time she was born I weighed150 lbs. This was the only time I ever weighed more than my sister, Debbie. Sorry, Debbie.
The heater core was so plugged up. I tried flushing it out, etc. I was working with an air hose, trying to blow it out.
At mid-night, my ex-husband, Mike and a dear friend Randy (R-bandy...he got that name when Jeremy was little, he couldn't say Randy). Anyway back to my story...they showed up at the shop on their motorcycles. They told me, I needed to take a break. So I got on the bike with Randy. We rode to his house cause they knew I wouldn't stop working and take a break if I stayed there. I needed the heater working before my baby was born.
Oh yeah...Jeremy is 9 years old at this time. No, he wasn't with me, little boys need to be in bed this time of night. NO, he wasn't home alone either. He had spent the night at his Uncle Tony and Aunt Debbie Berrelez's with his cousins.
About a half hour later they took me back to the shop. I was back with the air hose on the tubing of the heater core. Going from one tube to the other, back and forth. Someone said something to me, I had been bent over the core. I looked up just in time cause the core clog broke loose and hit the ceiling with a lot of force. Good thing I wasn't still leaning over it. Scared the day light out of all of us. Now, I had to put it back in and that's what I did.
I was home by 3:00am. and in bed, proud of myself, I got the job done all by myself! My back began to hurt. Thinking it was because I was bent over the core a lot. By 6:00this morning of December 6th. 1986, my back pain was so back. The only thing, I thought it could be...I'M IN LABOR!
Jeremy wanted to watch this baby be born. Dr. Carlson from the Birthing Center had it all worked out for this to happen. By 8:00 that morning I was in my car, got to Tony and Debbie's place to use their phone and tell Jeremy it's time to go. I kept calling a number (I thought was Carlson's home phone cause he wrote it on here. Didn't realize he wrote it on the front.) on the back of the business card I had for Dr. Carlson. The number on the back was actually my ex-husbands pager number. Then I realized that I had the wrong number. Dialed the right one. Dr Carlson answered.
Dr. Carlson said it still had two weeks before my due date but he would meet me at the Birthing Center as soon as he could get there. So off to the Birthing Center with my son, Jeremy. Yes I drove myself. The Birthing Center was in a little tiny house. Not a hospital! Jeremy is the only one that was born in a hospital. And that hospital is no more, tore down and rebuilt.
Dr. Carlson and Nurse Hazel had just arrived. Nurse Hazel was there for both of my baby girls birth. In fact, I have such FAST BIRTHS that the doctor didn't get there in time for Amanda's birth, Nurse Hazel delivered her by herself (that's another story next!)
Dr. Carlson checked me and said "Yes, we are about to have a baby!" Jeremy in the months before this decided he wanted a baby brother cause he has a half-sister "Stacy" that loved to tease him and he want a little brother instead of a sister, he's had enough of girls! LOL. He had asked me that if it was a girl... can we put it back and get him a brother? Not possible I told him Sorry!!
About 10:30 Dr. Carlson asked if I would like for him to break my water, my response was "Can you do that?" He said "Yes, and the baby would come faster". So he broke my water, shortly later around 11:00 and yes....Jeremy was right there to watch his new sister being born...he was the first to see her and he was the first one to hold this little girl, Yes... his new sister. First thing he said, "She's all wrinkly" with a smile on his face. I asked him, as he's holding her and smiling so big "Well, Jeremy she's a girl, do you still want to put her back?" He looked at me, with his loving brown eyes and said "We can keep her for now". I have the most amazing kids!
I drove myself here and I was going to drive myself home. Dr. Carlson wasn't caring for that idea but I was totally fine fine with it. By 1:00 that very afternoon my happy son and our new baby girl was on our way home and YES I drove us home. Nurse Hazel followed us home to make sure we was safe. She check on us daily.
I was the HAPPIEST MOMMY IN THE WORLD, I had the best of both worlds...My Son "Jeremy" and a baby Girl, Stephanie. I'm was a PROUD, PROUD MOM AND I STILL AM!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment