Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Birth of My First Child...My Son, "Jeremy Leroy William Campbell"

I was working at a bar called "Merle's" in Caldwell, Idaho. I got pregnant with my son (I was living with his dad!) about the first part of September of 1976. Jeremy's dad and I were no more in January of 1977.
Back then you didn't get to know the sex of the baby, but I got just what I wanted!
The day before he was born, this would be June 6th. 1977. I took some caster oil, my mom had done this when she was pregnant with me. It worked for her! At 4:00 in the afternoon I drank the caster oil and orange juice. It supposedly puts you into labor. By 6:00 that evening of the 6th. nothing happened. My friend, Gloria Sauls and I decided to go out to the lake and swim. This we did. I got home at 11:00 that evening and went to bed. At midnight my water had broke. This was scary, I ran and woke up my mom, (Beverly) and my Favorite Step Dad in the world (there will be stories written about this man, too!) Any how, my mom explain to me what had just happened. But I did not have any pain or contractions. So... my mom and I sat at the kitchen table, she was going crazy! Asking me every few moments if I was ready to go to the hospital yet? Nothing was happening, so why go yet?! 3:00 that morning of June 7th. 1977 my mom and I went to the Caldwell Memorial Hospital (this hospital no longer exists, it was torn down and a new one was built). They put me in my own little labor room, hooked this machine to my little belly. It was little and so was he! They prepped me, check me! The nurse told my mom and I that I was at 3, (I had no clue what that meant...remember I'm from Weippe!) The nurse told me I would be here for a while. Then she left the room.
The nurse got down the hall a ways. The monitor went nuts and that was the first and ONLY contraction that I felt. I went fully natural with ALL my babies. No shots...what ever they are call! My poor mom... she went flying out into the hall screaming for the nurse to hurry, something just happened. The nurse came running back. Once the nurse realized what had happened, started laughing, trying to help my mom to understand that I was okay and so was the baby. It was just a contraction. My beautiful mom, was not excepting that statement and made the nurse check me again. Guess what...... My baby's head was right there... in one contraction. The nurse than ran out of the room to get help, also yelling "Get that doctor in here NOW!!!" That totally sent my poor mom into a tail spin but an excited one! They rushed me into the delivery room. Mom ran down stairs to call my step dad "Bill" to tell him his New Grand-baby was on the way. Then she ran back upstairs 'cause she didn't want to miss being there. She got back to the Nurse's Station just in time to hear that I just had a baby boy! So, my mom ran back down stairs to call my dad "Bill" (I worship the ground this man walked on! If every child out there had a step parent as good as this man was...may he Rest in Peace... this world would be the greatest place to be!) Anyhow, mom, being out of breath told him about his new grandson, that the doctor got there just in time to deliver this new little baby boy at a little after 4 am. Didn't even have time to put on his gloves! Yes, my beautiful little baby boy weighed 6Lbs. 7oz. 19" little. My Brand New Baby Boy "Jeremy"

1 comment:

  1. 1st one was 28 hours labor, 2nd one 18, third one 5 hours and number 4 was an emergency C section, he weighed in around 11 pounds. SHEESH. If everyone had babies as nicely as you did, there would be MORE babies in this world.

    ReplyDelete